Electric Skillet vs Griddle: What’s the Difference and Which One is Right for You
An electric skillet and a griddle are both ideal items to use in your kitchen to help you prepare meals. However, the two gadgets are similar and maybe tricky for you to choose the best among them especially when purchasing them.
If you are looking forward to knowing the difference between the two kitchen appliances, then you are at the right place.
With keen observation, it is possible for you to tell the difference between them. Additionally, you could understand the functioning of the two appliances and pick that which meets your needs in the best way. The price that each appliance goes for could also help you tell between the two.
Below is comprehensive information about both an electric skillet and a griddle. Read on to understand the difference between the two and the ideal appliance to invest in.
What Is a Griddle
In a gist, a griddle can be defined as a piece of cooking equipment that has a flat cooking surface and a heat source underneath. It is a kind of cookware; for instance, such as a cast-iron griddle or nonstick which is built into a range or cast into a burner. They have a large surface area, thus making them ideal for cooking for a crowd.
Unlike the majority of other kitchen cooking appliances, there are no sides in a griddle, which makes it easy to flip food when cooking in it.
More often than not, griddles are used to prepare breakfast. However, in addition to breakfast meals such as pancakes and eggs, griddles can also be used to prepare other foods such as French toasts, hot sandwiches, burgers, and hash browns, among others.
What Is an Electric Skillet?
An electric skillet is a kind of pan which instead of being placed on a stove to heat, it is plugged into an electric socket. An electric skillet has many features that make it an ideal method to use to prepare food for your family.
For instance, it has a nonstick surface which is coated to ensure precise heating of food and prevent burning of the cooking food.
On the other hand, an electric skillet has a temperature control feature that helps you adjust and set the recommended temperature depending on the food that you are preparing. In some electric skillets, you will find a keep warm feature that is found below the heating area that can be used to warm food.
The keep-warm area can also be used to keep the food from becoming cold for a while. An electric skillet is also the kind of gadget that is designed in a way making it possible to prepare a variety of foods. Therefore, when you have this, you will not need to use your oven or traditional stove from time to time.
Basics of A Griddle
A griddle, especially an electric griddle, has a large flat surface which is heated using an electric source of heat. The griddle heats evenly and maintains the heat throughout the cooking process, which helps avoid hot areas in the pan. Additionally, a griddle has more surface area as compared to a normal pan. For this reason, it is possible an easier for you to prepare a lot of food in a griddle as compared to what you can do when using a traditional pan.
Electric griddles are ideal for preparing a variety of foods. Some of the foods that you can prepare using a griddle are such as scrambled eggs, French toasts, and pancakes, among others. The flat surface of the griddle makes it possible to prepare such foods among other breakfast foods as it is easy to flip. A quality griddle has a nonstick surface which is durable and helps avoid scratches. Additionally, the nonstick surface help avoid burning of food when you are cooking it. It is also possible for you to place your dishes in a convenient warming tray underneath when you have large meals.
Advantages of Using a Griddle
- Have a low learning curve; you do not need to have a lot of experience for you to learn how to use them
- Possible to cook a variety of foods when using them
- They are easy to cook
- Have nonstick surfaces which help prevent food from burning when you are using them.
- Easy to use a spatula when using a griddle
- Easy to grill different types of food and serve them at the same time
- Has a large flat service area which allows more food to be cooked at once
- They can be too big and end up taking a lot of space in the kitchen
- They have no edges or lids meaning that you cannot prepare meals that need moisture when preparing
- It is not possible to use an electric griddle in case you lack electric power
Basics of an Electric Skillet
When you own an electric skillet, you are a lucky owner of a gadget that can help you prepare a wide range of meals quickly and easily. This is a kitchen appliance that can be used to prepare many dishes such as sauces, baked eggs, hamburgers, and chips, among others. It is also manufactured using high-quality construction materials and will, therefore, serve you for a long time without having to replace or repair it. As its name suggests, the electric skillets are plugged into an electric outlet to produce heat. The skillet is also a handy device and can, therefore, help you free up space in the kitchen, unlike the case of an oven or a stovetop.
The electric skillet has a feature of temperature control, which is better as compared to that of an oven or a stove. It is a quality and reliable equipment that you can use in your kitchen when you need a break from your usual pan or oven.
How to Cook Using an Electric Skillet
As mentioned above, an electric skillet is a device capable of cooking and preparing several meals. Additionally, most electric skillets available on the market today can withstand various cooking methods. Some of the cooking methods that you can comfortably try using your electric skillet are such as:
This is a process of cooking using little oil and stirring the food regularly
This is a method of browning the ingredients using little oil or fat or boiling them with fat.
This is a method where you use a small amount of grease and oil under fast and medium heat.
This is a method involving dry and wet heat. It involves searing food under high temperature. Later, you cover the food with a lid and leave it to cook under low temperature.
Advantages of an Electric Skillet
- It can be used to cook, fry, or for sautéing. They are also ideal for grilling or searing meat before it is cooked.
- Most are made of aluminum and have a nonstick feature on the inside. This way, food does not burn when cooking.
- They are large and deeper than normal pans, thus allowing you to cook a lot of food at once
- It is easy and fast to clean the appliance
- They are readily available in many areas in the market including the online market
- Has a good temperature control that helps you adjust to the temperature that you find ideal
- Has an even heat distribution which helps heat food evenly
Disadvantages of an electric skillet
- It is dependent on electricity. Therefore, in the absence of electricity, it becomes useless
- For the nonstick models, the coating can break down after some time. Though the effect is not dangerous, it can be unpleasant and undesirable.
Other comparisons of an electric skillet and a griddle
- Indoor cooking- An electric skillet is good for use indoors while a griddle is not recommended for indoor cooking
- Sear marks- both the griddle and the electric skillet do not leave sear marks while cooking
- Portability- an electric skillet is a small gadget that is easy to move around with. A griddle, on the other hand, is big and robust and moving with it can be a real hustle.
- Price- the price of the most electric skillet is more wallet-friendly as compared to that of most griddles.
According to the comparisons above, an electric skillet is indeed a wise choice to make when looking for a kitchen cooking appliance. Not only is it fairly priced but also has features that make it an ideal investment to make. Therefore, when torn between an electric skillet and a griddle, an electric skillet should always be your first choice. This is a kitchen cooking appliance that will help change your experience in the kitchen. Additionally, an electric skillet will not only give you an allowance to prepare many kinds of food but is also wallet-friendly.
A griddle and an electric skillet are both ideal cooking appliances that you can use to help make cooking easier. However, choosing one among the two appliances is not a piece of cake. Nevertheless, when you have the features and qualities, it is easier to make an ideal decision. Use the information above to help you pick the cooking appliance that will help bring your kitchen experience to a new level.